ilex Café & Events is located within Christchurch Botanic Gardens and we recommend access via the Armagh St Bridge.
Always allow more time than you expect to get to and from the venue. Traffic congestion can be heavy due to the central city location, particularly if there are other events taking place in the Botanic Gardens.
Over Summer, the Botanic Gardens and Christchurch City Council host several outdoor events, which will impact on congestion around the City Centre and Hagley Park. We recommend checking www.bethere.co.nz to see what events are on and how they may impact on getting to our the venue.
There is a car park within the Botanic Gardens, accessible off Armagh Street, however parking is only available for 180 minutes, 0800 - 1800, Monday to Friday. This area is patrolled by parking wardens.
If you are attending an event during these times and your car will be parked in this area for longer than 180 minutes your Event Organiser will be issued car parking passes that they can provide you. This pass needs to be clearly displayed on your dashboard and will provide you parking for the length of the event. Parking in this area is limited and available on a first in first served basis. Additional parking is available on Riccarton and Rolleston Avenues or surrounding streets. There is no vehicle access in to the Botanic Gardens.
For private evening events, all access and cars is to be via the Armagh Street car park and the venue is to be accessed via the Armagh Street Footbridge. The car park is locked down at night time at the commencement of any events. Please be aware if your vehicle is not moved after an event ends it won’t be accessible until the following day.
Taxis are welcome to drop you off on Rolleston Ave, or in the Armagh Street car park.
Metro Bus Stops are located nearby. The number 17 (Bryndwr / Huntsbury) stops on Rolleston Ave. It is then a short walk into the Botanic Gardens. Visit www.metroinfo.org.nz for more information and timetables.
Pedestrian access is available from all points of entry in to the area. Please stay on footpaths and sides of roads for your safety and that of others.
Bike racks are available for cyclists and are located in the Armagh Street carpark near the footbridge that crosses the Avon River as you enter the Botanic Gardens near the playground.
Conditions of Entry
- ilex Café & Events is smokefree at all times
Please note while we endeavour to communicate as much as possible, Promoters and Event Owners/Operators may amend these Conditions of Entry at short or no notice for reasons of safety and security.
All persons entering ilex Café & Events must be appropriately dressed.
The right of admittance is reserved to Vbase staff and decision will be final. In particular no person will be permitted entry to the ilex with:
- Bare feet
- Clothing containing offensive messages (or gang patches)
- Inappropriate costume
Patrons may be refused entry to or asked to leave ilex if they:
- Are not in possession of a valid ticket or pass
- Are the subject of a current trespass order
- Attempt to bring in, or are found with, prohibited items (Full list of items below)
- Appear intoxicated or under the influence of drugs, or otherwise behave in a disorderly or offensive manner
- Refuse to undergo a breathalyser test.
- Fail to comply with security or entry staff requests, including submission to a search
- Are carrying out illegal or unauthorised activities within the ilex
- Personal compact cameras and phone cameras
- Food & beverage
- Alcohol or Illegal Substances
- Flasks / Thermos
- Animals (except guide or hearing dogs)
- Offensive Signs or Banners
- Whistles / Musical Instruments / Air Horns / Vuvuzelas
- Selfie sticks/ Flares / Fireworks / Laser Lights
- Dangerous Goods / Weapons / Anything that appears to look like a weapon
- Gang patches
- All commercial/professional grade recording devices including but not limited to video cameras, GoPros, iPads, tablets and DSLR/SLR cameras with detachable lenses.
Last reviewed March 2016